At Clover Leaf, sustainability is a part of our mission of “Improving Canadian quality of life by providing sustainable, nutritious, convenient and affordable seafood products.”
- Clover Leaf has a long history of a responsible, science-based approach to management of seafood products. Our dolphin-safe policy was adopted in the ‘80s.
- Clover Leaf was a founder, and is the only Canadian International Seafood Sustainability Foundation (ISSF) participating company. ISSF participation requires complete transparency in compliance against conservation measures, and Clover Leaf was 100% compliant on over 30 measures based on third party auditors Marine Resource Assessment Group (MRAG) report.
- 75% of the world’s tuna processors belong to the ISSF and adhere to strict conservation measures. The ISSF goal is for all tuna fisheries to become capable of achieving the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certification without conditions. The ISSF’s mandate is for the conservation of tuna using scientific data from the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) and other scientists to develop improved fishing methods.
- Clover Leaf’s social compliance policy demands fair treatment of suppliers’ employees, supported by third party auditors.
- Clover Leaf launched a line of MSC certified (the gold standard in wild fish certification) under the Wild Selections brand that contributes 13 cents per can sold to marine conservation initiatives each year.
- Clover Leaf launched Trace My Catch in 2016, a website where you can enter your can code to see where, when and how the tuna in your can was caught.
- No one solution or fishing method will ensure sustainability or meet demand. For example, fishing with pole and line results in less bycatch, but uses bait and more fuel than larger boats that catch with nets. Clover Leaf employs a variety of fishing methods, with the goal of improving all types of fishing.
- Light tuna is caught either in free schools (boats go out to search for them), or on fish aggregating devices (FADs), which attract the fish and saves the fishermen time and fuel by taking the “guess work” out of where the fish might be. Some FADs are associated with higher bycatch rates but overall purse seine bycatch rates are less than 2% globally and the difference between free school and FAD set bycatch is not dramatic especially in the western central Pacific where most tuna is caught (.33% vs 1.03%) and new methods are being tested and employed to further mitigate bycatch.
- Albacore tuna is caught on longlines vessels, where the use of circle hooks and mono-filament lines minimize bycatch.
- Activists have targeted the tuna industry in recent years, alleging unsustainable fishing practices. Greenpeace has been invited many times to participate on the ISSF Environmental Stakeholder Committee, but has declined. Our science based approach to sustainability is demonstrating solid results across key priorities. With 75% of tuna processors and industry committing to strict ISSF conservation measures, and over 86% of canned tuna sourced from healthy stocks, we think we and the ISSF are on the right path. Learn more at http://iss-foundation.org.
2016 International Seafood Sustainability Foundation Audit
The credibility of the International Seafood Sustainability Foundation (ISSF) and its members’ commitments are contingent upon member company transparency and compliance with ISSF resolutions. A critical component in demonstrating transparency and compliance with ISSF resolutions is the third party audit of member companies. These audits are conducted by the Marine Resource Assessment Group (MRAG) -Americas and evaluate company performance in meeting ISSF resolutions in a number of critical areas. Clover Leaf Seafood’s audit results were once again outstanding with 100% compliance on over 30 measures. We believe this is representative of our concerted efforts to ensure all products reaching the market comply with ISSF commitments, we are proud of our results and we will continue to drive to maintain the highest standard! Click here to view our 2016 Audit Report.
For more information about ISSF and their proactive initiatives, please visit www.iss-foundation.org.
Trace My Catch
Click on the tab to select your product.
Given the significant amount of data involved, the occasional error may occur.