Canned fish is a nutrition powerhouse because it contains important nutrients your body needs.
- Great Source of lean protein!
- Protein is important for repairing muscles and for a healthy immune system. As part of a meal protein, provides fullness, sustained energy, and stabilizes blood sugar.
- Source of Omega-3 Unsaturated Fats
- Omega-3 unsaturated fats lower the risk of heart disease and strokes. Clover Leaf salmon, Albacore tuna, and sardine products are all sources of Omega-3 Fats.
- Low in Saturated Fat & Trans Fat
- Fish and seafood are naturally low in saturated fat and most are completely free of trans fat. Adding more fish and seafood to your diet can be a heart healthy choice as part of a balanced diet.
- Rich in Vitamins & Minerals
- Seafood is high in minerals such as Vitamin D, phosphorus, iron, selenium, potassium, and calcium, which are all necessary for maintaining good health.
- CMAJ. Clinical nutrition: 4. Omega-3 fatty acids in cardiovascular care. Mar 5, 2002; 166 (5).
- ADVICE ABOUT EATING FISH: https://www.fda.gov/media/102331/download
- Choose foods with healthy fats – Canada’s Food Guide
- Prenatal Nutrition Guidelines for Health Professionals – Fish and Omega-3 Fatty Acids – Canada.ca
- Three reasons to try canned fish – Diabetes Canada