Chicken with Creamy Smoked Mussel Sauce
The smoked mussels in this recipe make for a mouth-watering cream sauce that sets off and complements the chicken perfectly. And using the juices from the smoked mussels tin to brown the chicken brings out the flavours even more!
- Drain the juices from the can of mussels into a large, nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Set mussels aside.
- Sprinkle the chicken with 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of the salt and black pepper; add to the pan, in batches if necessary. Brown the chicken on both sides.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet; bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, reduce the heat under the skillet to medium. Add the butter, onion, thyme, remaining salt and white pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high and add the mushrooms; sauté for 2 minutes or until golden.
- Stir in the broth and white wine; bring to a boil and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes or until liquid is reduced to about 1 cup (250 mL) .
- Stir the cream into the reduced wine mixture in skillet and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 7 to 8 minutes or until reduced and thickened.
- Stir in the reserved mussels.
- Arrange the chicken on a bed of steamed spinach and spoon sauce over top.
- Serve immediately.
For additional colour and flavourful flair, serve with saffron rice.
|Amount per serving||% Daily Value|
Saturated + Trans
Claims Per Serving
- Excellent Source of Protein
- Source of Vitamin A
- Source of Iron